- Enjoy a spectacular view of the city
- Climb to the top of the Cupola, the highest point in Florence
- See an admirable creation of art by Filippo Brunelleschi
After seeing the Duomo from all sides and visiting the inside of the cathedral, all you need to do to complete the experience is a climb to the top of the cupola. See the entire city from a single point by climbing to the top of Florence's Dome by Joining
a guided tour with local expert guides to discover the structure's full history.
After seeing the Duomo from all sides and visiting the inside of the cathedral, all you need to do to complete the experience is a climb to the top of the cupola!
The exterior view of the Cupola is a showstopper but the only way to see the inside of the dome up close and enjoy the extraordinary view of Florence is to climb its 463 steps (there is no elevator).
Your guide will talk you through all about how the Cupola was designed and built by Filippo Brunelleschi who won the competition for its commission in 1418.
The way up (and down) are basically tight corridors as the workmen who built the cathedral for maintenance, they were never thought of as being open to the public.
On the interior of the dome, you can admire the Giorgio Vasari's frescoes of the Last Judgment (1572-9) up close with an interesting explanation of the frescoes from your guide on your way up to the top.
Look down and on the base, just above the drum, you'll see that Baccio d'Agnolo began adding a balcony in 1507 and how one of the eight sides were unfinished, there's a story behind it, your guide will reveal it to you on your way as to why the work was immediately halted, and to this day the other seven sides remain rough brick!
Once you climb to the top of the Cupola, you will be enchanted from the panoramic view of the Florence city in front of your eyes. Your guide will talk about the history and art of this Duomo Square and answer to any of your questions regarding Duomo.
The tour takes about an hour, the perfect amount to listen and climb to the top of Cupola. You can also enjoy the view on your own and spend more time on the top after the tour ends.
Porta della Mandorla (Piazza del Duomo - Front of Arnold Coffee)
- Entrance fees
- Ticket and the reservation (you can climb the Dome only with RESERVATION)
- Official certified guide
- Radio system to hear the guide
- Entrance ticket to visit the crypt, baptistery, bell tower and the Opera Duomo Museum of the Florence Duomo on your own time
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Entrance to the cathedral
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, physically not fit to climb steps, pregnant women and suffering from vertigo, claustrophobia or heart problems
- No wheelchair accessible
- No elevators
- Pets are not allowed
- You do not need a ticket to visit the Cathedral; you can enter it at any time before or after this tour
- After the first validation, the ticket is valid for 72 hours: you can use it to visit locations listed on your own time (the Bell-tower and the crypt inside the cathedral)
- Please note that the tour requires a minimum number of guests to run
- Please note that if you arrive after the tour start time you will not be able to join and will not be refunded or have your tour rescheduled
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund